Rumors of SMAP disbanding floated earlier this year, dispelled only after members came out to deny it.
– The nation breathed a collective sigh, but rumors of awkward filming atmospheres during their “SMAPxSMAP” show pervaded
– Shingo Katori even said that he didn’t wish to participate in a 25 year anniversary concert
It seems that their manager wanted to leave the company, and the five members had agreed to go with her, but Takuya Kimura changed his mind, causing a rift between him and the other members.
– Takuya Kimura lead the apologies to fans, and has been internally labeled “the traitor”
Taiwanese netizens react below:
- Takuya Kimura and his happy companions
- Disbandment, again?
- How many times are they going to disband?
- They’re really going to disband this time, NHK (leading Japanese news channel) just ran it on their channel
- Is there a difference whether they disband or not?
- They’re all old men, disbandment is good too
- This is confirmed? T_T It feels like an age is ending
- They often do their own solo activities even without disbandment, what’s the difference?
- All the major Japanese newspaper headlines are about SMAP