Zhao Wei has been under fire since she wore clothing that was extremely similar to the Japanese naval flag for a photo shoot for “LOFFICIAL” on December 3, 2001.
– However, words such as “health, peace, happiness, hygiene” were embroidered onto the clothing, as opposed to “fight, loyalty, Empire, Emperor” as is common on Japanese military flags
– The clothing was sponsored by Heatherette NYC and designed by Richie Rich, shot by Asian photographer Dah Len
– Both parties expressed they had no intention of expression militaristic intentions afterwards
– This caused a huge furor in China after it was published
Many demanded an apology from Zhao Wei, with some thinking she was supporting Japan and thus should be exiled from the industry.
– Others felt that she was young and didn’t mean to do this, that she didn’t design the clothing and thus shouldn’t be had responsible
– The “Beijing Evening News” reported on Dec. 9, 2001 that Zhao Wei apologized for this matter
– Zhao Wei and “LOFFICIAL” publicly apologized on Dec. 10, with the main editor resigning to take responsibility for this matter
However, this wasn’t enough to calm netizens and media.
– On Dec. 28, 2001, when Zhao Wei was performing at the celebration of the sixth anniversary of the Hunan Economics TV station, a man rushed on stage, body slammed her, and splashed liquid that allegedly had feces mixed into it
– Some newspapers reported that the man had had family members die during the Japanese aggression, but this was later refuted
– Some netizens said that it was ridiculous that they were so lenient towards the Japanese and so harsh to their own countrymen
– Zhao Wei once again publicly apologized on a TV show afterwards
15 years later, Cnetz react below:
[+2,851] Zhao Japanese flag and Ko druggie! What an enticing event
[+1,683] That Zhao! Is the editor crazy to say that she’s elegant!
[+1,321] A traitor and a druggie!
[+1,222] Do people still like a traitor? I don’t want to see her anymore
[+867] Zhang Yuqi’s clothes look like a country bumpkin…
[+856] I really don’t know why we haven’t banned Ko Chentung! How dare he come out. I rarely hate celebrities, but I really dislike him
[+676] Zhao b*tch looks so scary
[+639] Zhang Yuqi’s clothes look too ugly… Fan Bingbing is the one top for walking down the red carpet
[+500] Zhao slouches and her chest is flat. Why isn’t she wearing a Japanese flag this time?
[+439] I’ve come to read people cuss at Zhao. I feel so content reading these comments