Veteran Taiwanese boy band 5566 was the topic of conversation again after a recent performance at the Golden Bell Awards.
- Their reunification gave rise to many memories for those born in the 80s and 90s
- Members Tony Sun, Zax Wang, and Jason Hsu have once again reunited to co-host the show “The Hunger Games”
- Sam Wang was also offered a MC slot, but declined due to a conflict with his filming schedules
- The first episode was a smashing hit as 960 thousand people watched it
However, recent accusations have come to light that the show ripped off Korea’s “Running Man”.
- According to Taiwanese media, there was a game in which members placed their ears through paper barriers and had to use their ears to feel the shape and presence of various objects
- They then had to find the corresponding seafood item in the market
- Viewers have said this is a rip off of “Running Man’s” ep. 148
Another area of coincidence is where the hosts and guests where white name tags on their bodies, something very similar to “Running Man”.
- The official response to this has been that, “We will continue to improve upon and offer more original games. Thank you to the public for supporting us!”
Cnetz weigh in below:
“Like our other shows aren’t a ripoff of foreign content…”
“Has the journalist never watched ‘Running Man’? The Chinese version is a straight ripoff.”
“^ We bought the rights to it…”
“At least they admit to it. Those who never own up and keep saying it’s their own creation are more deserving of being reported on, no?”
“We drive foreign cars, fly their planes, so why don’t you go die when they die too?
“Ai, everyone copies. Taiwan’s attitude is at least sincere. If it comes to us, copying is the norm and completely right.”
“There’s no innovation in Chinese variety at all, and members of the same group aren’t united either. There’s no professionalism and they all just leave after getting their pay. I can’t see the effort they put in for the show…”